[Mesa-dev] GLSL IR & TGSI on-disk shader cache

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Fri Feb 10 11:46:55 UTC 2017

On 10/02/17 21:35, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
> On 08.02.2017 23:31, Eric Anholt wrote:
>> Bas Nieuwenhuizen <bas at basnieuwenhuizen.nl> writes:

>>> Yeah,also  just figured that out during the week. The fundamental issue
>>> here is that the SHA1 might come out different due to compiler
>>> differences between distros, even if they are compiling exactly the
>>> same
>>> version. This increases the number of versions of the cache that
>>> have to
>>> be distributed if the application would like to distribute precompiled
>>> caches.
>>
>> I think that trying to apply precompiled binaries from one build of
>> Mesa+LLVM to different different builds of Mesa+LLVM is going to cause
>> us endless pain and Mesa shouldn't allow that.
>
> I agree.
>
> The people who want to distribute precompiled binaries will have to
> set up infrastructure where they do the precompilation across all the
> distro/build combinations that they want to support.

I believe the plan is to also have them collected directly from users.

> It's not even clear to me how they intend to load those precompiled
> binaries into the system. Is e.g. Steam just going to write into
> Mesa's cache directory? We can't really stop them if they really
> wanted to do that, but that seems like a pain.

I believe that is the plan yes, same goes for the binary drivers.

> I agree with Matt that this is precisely what
> GL_ARB_get_program_binary was designed for.
>
> If people are worried about the download sizes caused by the many
> build combinations, they should look into either
>
> (a) compression for that purpose, or
I will likely look into this once we land the initial cache. Currently
there is no real information on how large this repository will grow to,
so its more of a thought that a concern at this point.

I don't know all the details of the planned system but hopefully this
helps give a bit of a picture into how it could work.