[Mesa-dev] Time to merge threaded GL dispatch? (aka glthread)

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Fri Feb 10 12:47:53 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 10.02.2017 13:00, Marek Olšák wrote:
> The glmark2 issue is not important, because glthread will never
> support glmark2. (because glmark2 is a SwapBuffers benchmark like
> glxgears)

Whether some test is SwapBuffers benchmark or not, or whether it
benefits from glthread, is irrelevant.  What is relevant is:
* Does glthread cause test to crash
* Is the crash fault of glthread

I.e. is glthread broken.  If glthread is broken, performance numbers
you've provided for other use-cases cannot be trusted, regardless of how
promising they look.

(Without performance numbers that can be trusted to prove (current /
eventual) working version of glthread to improve performance, there's no
reason why the code would get merged.  I've seen a lot of examples of
initially promising optimizations that weren't anymore when they had
been fixed to work correctly.)

Note that while glmark2 test-suite tests with their default settings are
indeed SwapBuffers tests (except for "terrain" test on weaker Intel
GPUs), you're free to use some other setting [1].

For example these should be GPU (FS) limited:
	glmark2 -b loop:fragment-steps=4096 --fullscreen
	glmark2 -b conditionals:fragment-steps=1024:vertex-steps=4096
	glmark2 -b function:fragment-steps=4096

Last one gets stack overflow in Mesa, at least on Intel, maybe gallium
fares better.

(Moving things away from main thread like glthread does could be an
issue, as on linux only main thread stack grows on-demand, other threads
have fixed stack sizes, nowadays by default 8MB.)

Btw.  When Mesa gets glvnd support, will glthread need also updates?

	- Eero

[1] Or tell it to use your own, more complex 3DS models and larger
textures, or even replace the included shaders with something more
demanding.  If somebody would add an option with which you can specify
viewport matrix into which tests are rendered before doing buffer swap,
even with the default options you could get tests GPU limited.  I'm sure
upstream glmark2 would be happen to receive such changes.