[Mesa-dev] GLSL IR & TGSI on-disk shader cache

Pierre-Loup A. Griffais pgriffais at valvesoftware.com
Sat Feb 11 02:44:43 UTC 2017

On 02/10/2017 04:01 AM, Nicolai Hähnle wrote:
> On 10.02.2017 12:46, Timothy Arceri wrote:

>>> I agree.
>>>
>>> The people who want to distribute precompiled binaries will have to
>>> set up infrastructure where they do the precompilation across all the
>>> distro/build combinations that they want to support.
>>
>> I believe the plan is to also have them collected directly from users.
>
> Oh $deity, please no. That's a security nightmare waiting to happen.

Debatable, but off-topic either way; happy to chat about it offline.

>>> It's not even clear to me how they intend to load those precompiled
>>> binaries into the system. Is e.g. Steam just going to write into
>>> Mesa's cache directory? We can't really stop them if they really
>>> wanted to do that, but that seems like a pain.
>>
>> I believe that is the plan yes, same goes for the binary drivers.
>>

>>> I agree with Matt that this is precisely what
>>> GL_ARB_get_program_binary was designed for.
>>>
>>> If people are worried about the download sizes caused by the many
>>> build combinations, they should look into either
>>>
>>> (a) compression for that purpose, or
>> I will likely look into this once we land the initial cache. Currently
>> there is no real information on how large this repository will grow to,
>> so its more of a thought that a concern at this point.
>>
>> I don't know all the details of the planned system but hopefully this
>> helps give a bit of a picture into how it could work.
>
> Cool, thanks.

ARB_get_program_binary is not useful for collection/redistribution.

It seems like regardless of any external participant to the system,
being robust against LLVM differences is something the cache needs to solve.

Ideally LLVM could expose a version string/number that's granular
enough, and distros/users could be trusted to properly amend that
version string if they make functional changes to something that can
affect shader compilation, but maybe that's wishful thinking.

I'm not so sure that a build-id is a silver bullet here either, but if
you can rely on its existence because it's written into the binary by a
part of the build system that no distro will ever mess with, it seems
like it would work. It would be more conservative than strictly needed,
but that isn't a major issue in the short term. It would at least allow
us to get compelling data showing whether moving to a less granular
cache key would allow us to serve significantly more users.

Thanks,
  - Pierre-Loup