[Mesa-dev] software implementation of vulkan for gsoc/evoc

Roland Scheidegger sroland at vmware.com
Sat Feb 11 19:11:10 UTC 2017

Am 11.02.2017 um 00:03 schrieb Jacob Lifshay:
> I would like to write a software implementation of Vulkan for inclusion
> in mesa3d. I wanted to use a tiled renderer coupled with llvm and either
> write or use a whole-function-vectorization pass. Would anyone be
> willing to mentor me for this project? I would probably only need help
> getting it committed, and would be able to do the rest with minimal help.
> Jacob Lifshay

This sounds like a potentially interesting project, though I don't have
much of an idea if it's feasible as gsoc.
By "using a tiled renderer" do you mean you want to "borrow" that,
presumably from either llvmpipe or openswr?
The whole-function-vectorization idea for shader execution looks
reasonable to me, just not sure if it will deliver good results. I guess
it would be nice if that could sort of be used as a replacement for the
current gallivm cpu shader execution implementation (used by both
llvmpipe and openswr).

Roland