[Mesa-dev] Automated fuzzy testing of shader compilers - contacts in Mesa?

Hugues Evrard h.evrard at imperial.ac.uk
Thu Feb 16 17:11:22 UTC 2017

Hi all,

I'm a researcher at Imperial College London, my group is working on a
testing framework for graphics drivers, in particular shader compilers,
and we would like to get in touch with Mesa shader compiler developers.

Our approach has already identified more than 50 bugs, spanning from bad
image rendering to more severe issues like system hangs or crashes,
across drivers of all major GPU designers (Intel, AMD...). In a
nutshell, we use the "metamorphic testing" approach to perform fuzzing
of GLSL shaders, and we're able to eventually produce a minimal test
case to trigger bugs. For illustrated examples, see:
https://medium.com/@afd_icl/crashes-hangs-and-crazy-images-by-adding-zero-689d15ce922b

We're currently conducting experiments on Mesa drivers, and we will
report our findings soon. I'm contacting this mailing list in advance
since two of us are going to be in the US for the Game Dev. Conference
at the end of the month, plus an extra week or more in March to visit
companies (Apple, Nvidia, Qualcomm, ...). In order to make the most of
this US journey, we would like to meet people from the Mesa shader
compiler teams. The mesa website says that the GLSL compiler is
contributed by Intel, is that still accurate? If so, could anyone help
us to get in touch with this team (who is maybe reading this mailing
list)? What about AMD?

Note that besides GLSL compilers, we're looking forward to extend our
approach to other APIs like Vulkan. Any contact in companies that deal
with shader manipulation, such as video game engines editors like Valve
or Unity (we're already in touch with Epic Games) would also be much
appreciated!

Thanks in advance for your support,
--
Hugues Evrard