[Mesa-dev] configure fails to find llvm since recent llvm commit.

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Jul 4 15:44:59 UTC 2017

On 4 July 2017 at 16:04, Rafael Avila de Espindola
<rafael.espindola at gmail.com> wrote:
> Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> writes:
>
>> So the version is FOOgit-$SHA while the DSO uses, FOOsvn. At the same
>> time at least 3.9.0/3.9.1 has broken llvm-config --libnames/libfiles,
>> so we cannot rely on that.
>> Doesn't seem like LLVM is giving us something robust to work with here.
>>
>> LLVM users/devs (Rafael), I would suggest up-streaming a patch which
>> changes that toggle default value, for now.
>> As LLVM does a few releases where it has a reliable way of determining
>> the library name users can switch to it.
>>
>> How does this sound?
>
> I am not sure I understand why having the hash in the version causes
> problems.

Because llvm-config --libnames/libfiles is unreliable ;-( Hence we use
llvm-config --version to get the DSO name.

> Can you send an email to llvm-dev at lists.llvm.org about it?

It might be better for some LLVM expert to do that, considering I'm
the least experienced person in things LLVM in this thread ;-)

Thanks
Emil