[Mesa-dev] AMD Tahiti: A question about PFP firmware

Gustaw Smolarczyk wielkiegie at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 14:57:14 UTC 2017

Hello,

While looking at the extension list on my Tahiti GPU (SI) I have found
that ARB_draw_parameters is missing. Looking at the code, it requires
ME firmware version >= 87 and PFP firmware version >= 121. While the
first is satisfied, the second is not [1]. I believe I use the newest
TAHITI firmware from the linux-firmware repository [2] (I use the
lower-case tahiti_{me,pfp}.bin files). I use the amdgpu kernel driver
instead of radeon (not sure if that matters since both of them should
use the same firmware files); well, if I didn't the versions would be
0 since only amdgpu winsys queries them.

Is there maybe some unreleased firmware file with newer version for my
hardware? Or is the check a nice way of saying "if you want hardware
accelerated MDI, buy newer hardware"?

[1] https://pastebin.com/BpYiJj0Z
[2] https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git/tree/radeon

Regards,
Gustaw

P.S. I tried to ask on IRC, but I was unable to write a message on
#dri-devel channel as it was rejected (using irc.freenode.net). May
there be something I was missing?