[Mesa-dev] [Intel-gfx] [RFC v3] drm/i915: Select engines via class and instance in execbuffer2

Tvrtko Ursulin tvrtko.ursulin at linux.intel.com
Thu Jun 15 08:08:27 UTC 2017

On 25/05/2017 15:14, Chris Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 12:28:07PM +0100, Tvrtko Ursulin wrote:

>>> The problem otherwise is that we then have to define yet another
>>> interface based on features. To me that sounds like too much
>>> duplication, that we could avoid from the beginning. Curse the hw for
>>> being asymmetical!
>>
>> Hm I don't see a problem with the feature base engine selection on
>> top. You still do because of the desire classes were equal in
>> features?
>
> Ok, having another think about it, I agree that the features define a
> subclass. Basically it comes down to VCS | HEVC being a subset of the
> VCS group and we need a way to express any of VCS | HEVC and any of VCS
> cleanly.

Cool, I'll respin with engine features on the top to see how that looks.
And I am also thinking about dropping the GT discovery bits. More on
that below.

>> To sum up what I (and we) talked about in various parts of the thread(s):
>>
>> Step 1a: New execbuf engine selection uAPI.
>>
>>   - execbuf class=VCS instance=1
>>
>> Step 1b: Engine discovery uAPI.
>>
>> Same as above but userpace can figure out how many VCS engines there
>> are without PCI probing.
>>
>> I didn't get much feedback on this one. :(
>
> Mainly because we didn't emphasis that this would be the only way to
> discover the parameters for execbuf / svm and it lost in the idea that
> this would replace their device_info tables. We are suggesting that we
> can phase out those tables (but we should put some effort into making
> sure we discard unwanted ones after init) since we will have to provide
> the information anyway.

It has become more unlikely we would get libva (my hopeful first user)
on board for this in the short/medium term. So as said above, I am
thinking to drop this for now.

If at some point we go for "step 2" below that would also enable some
sort of engine enumeration/probing via execbuf null batches.

>> Step 2: Feature masks for execbuf.
>>
>>   - execbuf class=VCS instance=0 features=HEVC = OK
>>   - execbuf class=VCS instance=1 features=HEVC = FAIL
>>
>> But userspace can use engine discovery to figure out which are the
>> valid combinations.
>>
>> This could be a simpler, but less featureful and not very elegant
>> alternative to step 2.
>>
>> Otherwise just a prep step for the subsequent steps below.
>>
>> Step 3a: (One day maybe) userspace selects a class, i915 picks the engine
>>
>>   - execbuf class=VCS instance=any
>>
>> Step 3b: userspace selected class and features
>>
>>   - execbuf class=VCS instance=any features=HEVC
>>
>> This RFC proposed steps 1a and 1b. The rest we leave for later.
>>
>> How does that sound? Acceptable?
>
> I want "1c: extensible interface for per-engine settings elsewhere in the
> uAPI" as well.

What do you have in mind here, what other uAPI deals with engines?

Regards,

Tvrtko