[Mesa-dev] Why are we using server-side GLX fbconfigs?

Thomas Hellstrom thellstrom at vmware.com
Thu Jun 29 14:36:00 UTC 2017

Hi!

I was spending some time going through the GLX code to try to fix up the
GLX_OML_swap_method extension implementation.

I then stumbled across the fact that when we, for direct rendering
connections, construct the list of fbconfigs, we start out with the
server provided fbconfigs from the AIGLX driver and then try to match
each fbconfig with a corresponding client driver driconfig. Effectively
making us use the intersection of the server AIGLX capabilities and the
client Direct rendering capabilities.

Wouldn't it be more correct, or at least "better" if we, for direct
rendering, took a list of client driver driconfigs, matched each with a
server provided visual and if we have a match, built an fbconfig from
that driconfig? That would make us essentialy exposing all client driver
capabilities regardless of what the server is using, as long as we have
a matching visual?

Any insights into this would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Thomas