[Mesa-dev] [Request for Comments] - Port documentation to Markdown

Jean Hertel jean.hertel at hotmail.com
Wed Mar 8 11:55:49 UTC 2017

Jason,

First, thanks for pointing the other attempts of doing all that.

Reading those links and the responses in this thread my current opinion is:

  *   The developers want a place to put more documentation;
  *   Large CSS portions are not desired, so a very simple CSS is needed for better maintenance. (No Twitter Bootstrap allowed);
  *   Sphinx is preferred, as there is already some documentation written in it. (Gallium and NIR);

If you look carefully, right now the mesa website is splited in 3 main parts:

  *   New releases announces; (Those are mainly writed by Emil);
  *   Basic Helping and Debugging (Mailing lists, writing for Mesa, bug reporting, etc);
  *   Some Basic documentation on Mesa itself (Mesa Dispatch, Off-screen rendering, EnvVars, etc);

Given these points, is clear to me that a Sphinx approach is much more valuable.

I will try to understand it and write a new proposal for the website, along with the documentation.

Cheers,

Jean Hertel