[Mesa-dev] [RFC 00/11] GL_ARB_gpu_shader_fp64

Kenneth Graunke kenneth at whitecape.org
Thu Mar 9 17:54:29 UTC 2017

On Thursday, March 9, 2017 8:58:19 AM PST Matt Turner wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:31 AM, tournier.elie <tournier.elie at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I understand the concern about reviewing auto-generated files.
> > An other solution is to generate the builtin_float64.h during the
> > compilation time. So we just have to land the float64.glsl file.
> >
> > Would anyone see merit in bootstrapping?
>
> We did that years ago, and it was a nightmare.

Yeah - never again.  The build process was convoluted and slow, and it
took years before someone finally worked out all the cross-compiling
bugs.  At the end of the day, writing builder code was easier, cleaner,
and simpler.

Bootstrapping is a good idea for general purpose compilers.  But for our
minimal uses, it just isn't worth it.

--Ken