[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Jonathan Gray jsg at jsg.id.au
Tue Mar 21 05:10:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 11:30:25AM -0700, Matt Turner wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 20, 2017 at 6:55 AM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Seems like we ended up all over the place, so let me try afresh.
> >
> > Above all:
> >  - Saying "I don't care" about your users is arrogant - let us _not_
> > do that, please ?
>
> Let's be honest, the OpenBSD is subjecting itself to some pretty
> arbitrary restrictions caused including Mesa in its core: 10+ year old
> GCC, non-GNU Make, and now no Meson. I don't believe either FreeBSD or
> NetBSD keep Mesa as part of the core operating system, and as such
> don't suffer from these problems.
>
> For better or worse, they have made their choices and they get to live
> with them. We are not beholden to them.

This isn't a situation like OpenSSH where people explicitly go out of
their way to provide support for and test multiple systems and add
support for horrible things like PAM.  It is more along the lines of
considering integrating patches sent by others to make code build.

> > Even Linux distribution maintainers have responded that "upstream does
> > not care us", which is indicative that we should be more careful what
> > we say.
>
> Citation needed.
>
> > For the rest - we're dealing with two orthogonal issues here:
> >
> > * Multiple build systems
> > I believe we'll all agree that I might be the person who's been in all
> > the build systems the most.
> > Yes I _would_ _love_ to drop it all but we simply _cannot_ do that yet:
>
> No one is advocating dropping all of the existing build systems yet.
>
> This patch is an RFC for a smaller project to start the discussion about Mesa.
>
> >  - [currently] there is no viable solution for Android
>
> Acknowledged. Dylan is going to see if this is something that can be
> solved in upstream Meson.
>
> >  - dropping the Autotools will lead to OpenBSD and NetBSD having to
> > write one from scratch, IIRC Solaris/FreeBSD and others are in similar
> > boat.
>
> Solaris is a closed source operating system whose developers do not
> contribute to the project. We do not need to base our decisions on
> them.

So Mesa will remove support for libglvnd then?  I don't see a lot of
open source non-Mesa alternatives for libGL.

Oh and the mingw, windows and macos support can go as well, great!