[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Tue Mar 21 16:22:50 UTC 2017

Quoting Jani Nikula (2017-03-21 07:44:55)
> On Thu, 16 Mar 2017, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > First it's written in python, [...]
>
> How does meson handle python 2 vs. 3? How do you avoid issues in the
> build files wrt this? On Debian meson seems to depend on python 3, so
> are they fully python 3?

Meson requires python 3.4+, and doesn't support python 2. Python 3.4 was
released in 2012. It's also worth nothing that a couple of us have been working
to get mesa's python scripts python3 compatible, so in the (hopefully) near
future python2 wouldn't be required.

> How does meson handle build file backwards compatibility between meson
> versions? I don't intend to flame, but I've found for some reason many
> python projects don't seem to take this very seriously. Either having
> conditionals in build files to support building with several meson
> versions or always requiring the latest and greatest version would be
> rather annoying.

Meson makes backwards compatible changes, and the version can be queried using
`meson.version()`, which works using meson's version comparison mechanism. I
would say this about meson, it's not a 'python project', it's 'a project written
in python', and they've taken great pains to not expose python in meson, and
reserve the right to reimplement in a different language if python becomes an
issue.

> BR,
> Jani.
>
> --
> Jani Nikula, Intel Open Source Technology Center

Dylan