[Mesa-dev] [RFC libdrm 0/2] Replace the build system with meson

Jose Fonseca jfonseca at vmware.com
Wed Mar 22 17:26:13 UTC 2017

On 16/03/17 22:36, Marek Olšák wrote:
> Is there a way not to use ninja with meson, because ninja redirects
> all stderr output from gcc to stdout, which breaks many development
> environments that expect errors in stderr?
>
> I'm basically saying that if ninja can't keep gcc errors in stderr, I
> wouldn't like any project that I might be involved in to require ninja
> for building.
>
> Marek

Yes, that's an annoying behavior from ninja.

I use a simple shell script for IDEs that care about that (e.g., with
QtCreator):

   $ cat `which ninja-stderr `
   #!/bin/sh
   ninja "$@" 1>&2

There's a rationale for ninja to behave like that -- ninja buffers the
whole program output, but and they use a combined buffer for both stderr
and stdout so lines appear in same order.  Still, it would be nice if
they fixed this for everybody.

Jose