[Mesa-dev] [RFC] ARB_gl_spirv and NIR backend for radeonsi

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Tue May 23 01:45:17 UTC 2017

On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:33 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, May 22, 2017 at 9:15 PM, Timothy Arceri <tarceri at itsqueeze.com> wrote:
>> On 23/05/17 10:44, Marek Olšák wrote:

>>> Using GLSL -> NIR for radeonsi won't really change the GLSL linker
>>> situation, because there are 12 other drivers consuming only TGSI.
>>

>> Ignoring the software drivers Nouveau is the only one in active development
>> though right?
>
> on x86, probably.. although etnaviv hasn't switched to nir and is
> seeing active development.  (And, well, there are a couple arm/SoC
> gpu's that still need a driver, although I guess if a foss mali driver
> happens it is a good candidate to skip straight to nir)

>>> guess it's OK to switch only radeonsi to NIR if it improves compile
>>> times, but we also have the shader cache, so I don't know if it's
>>> worth it just for the faster compilation that takes place only on the
>>> first run. It's very hard to justify the massive development effort
>>> here.
>>>

>> Rob seemed to think wiring up geom/tess support for glsl_to_nir should be
>> straightforward.
>
> I guess shader-stage aspect of it should be dead simple..
> shader-feature aspect *might* be more involved (but really only to the
> extent that mesa/st does clever things.. I probably should have split
> up the patch that added mesa/st glsl->nir support for compute shaders
> from the part that added ssbo's and atomic counters, because of the
> way mesa/st lowers atomic counters to ssbo..).  Not sure if mesa/st
> does anything clever with images (like it does w/ lowering atomic
> counters to atomic ops to ssbo's).. if not that should require nothing
> additional.
>
> Anyways, if there is anything I can do to help on the plumbing nir
> through mesa/st end of things, let me know.. I'll need it eventually
> for freedreno.  But there are some things I haven't looked at yet just
> because of features I haven't r/e'd and implemented yet.

btw, random thought, but if serializing/deserializing nir is going to
be needed for on-disk shader cache (something I haven't had time to
look at yet), maybe I should add that near the top of the todo-pile?
AFAIU freedreno and vc4 will want that, and if it turns out to be
useful for radeonsi too down the road, then bonus-points..

BR,
-R