[Mesa-dev] Status of Clover (AMDGPU)

Marek Olšák maraeo at gmail.com
Wed May 31 15:44:48 UTC 2017

On Wed, May 31, 2017 at 4:37 PM, Luke A. Guest <laguest at archeia.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I've just reinstalled Gentoo on my machine and I no longer have
> AMDGPU-Pro on it due to it using ancient libs. My machine is an FX-8350
> one, so it's PCIe-2.0. Clover is currently lacking in CL compliance at
> this time.
>
> So, I'm wondering if anyone is actually working on it now that AMD have
> abandoned it in favour of ROCm? Does anyone know the actual status, i.e.
> what is and isn't done? I think it's worth getting OpenCL support
> working for older hw, ROCm has a PCIe-3.0 intrinsics requirement, so for
> older hardware this isn't an option.

Nobody has worked on RadeonSI OpenCL for quite some time. Even the
main developer of R600 and RadeonSI OpenCL (Tom Stellard) was mostly
working on ROCm when he was at AMD.

> So far I've found that gl sharing is missing as are some entry points in
> dispatch.cpp.

ROCm OpenCL has interop support with RadeonSI OpenGL. We committed it
into Mesa when ROCm OpenCL was still closed source. I think it can
also be used to pass VDPAU surfaces through OpenGL into OpenCL that
way. It's pretty flexible.

> 1) Would it be worth continuting and if so would we be allowed to shared
> clc files from ROCm to Mesa?
>
> 2) If not, is it worth considering porting Beignet instead, that at
> least gives OpenCL 2.0.

Clover and its driver backends are unmaintained and there is no
production quality Mesa OpenCL driver. If you are interested in
working on it, feel free, but if you upgrade to a ROCm-capable
machine, you might lose interest.

Marek