[Mesa-dev] More gratitude for Meson

Chad Versace chadversary at chromium.org
Wed Nov 1 22:49:46 UTC 2017

On Wed 01 Nov 2017, Dylan Baker wrote:
> Quoting Chad Versace (2017-11-01 14:43:28)
> > Wow. 10 seconds from a clean checkout to an installed Vulkan driver.

> Glad that it's working out for you guys!
>
> Can I convince you to wire the anvil and i965 android/arc++ bits? ;)
>
> JFYI, the meson build will (I consider it a bug if it doesn't) turn off all
> glapi, egl, and glx if there are no dri or gallium drivers built unless you
> force them on.

Thanks for turning that stuff off. Last time I tried to build just
Vulkan without GL (maybe 1.5 years ago), Autotools didn't allow it. It
insisted that i965 was a build dependency for anvil.

> It also avoids building the glsl compiler unless there's a driver
> that uses it.

I expected the buildtime to be much longer because I expected it to
build the GLSL compiler too. I was surprised and happy to discover that
it builds only the SPIR-V compiler.

> And it defaults to debug, which might be surprising, but people
> around here thought that default debug is a feature.

Huh... For infrastructure projects like Mesa (as opposed to test
projects like Piglit), I expect the default build to be the release
build. But I can understand why others would want default=debug.