[Mesa-dev] More gratitude for Meson

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Wed Nov 1 23:03:32 UTC 2017

Quoting Ilia Mirkin (2017-11-01 15:52:56)
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 6:49 PM, Chad Versace <chadversary at chromium.org> wrote:
> > On Wed 01 Nov 2017, Dylan Baker wrote:
> >> Quoting Chad Versace (2017-11-01 14:43:28)
> >
> >> Glad that it's working out for you guys!
> >>
> >> Can I convince you to wire the anvil and i965 android/arc++ bits? ;)
> >>
> >> JFYI, the meson build will (I consider it a bug if it doesn't) turn off all
> >> glapi, egl, and glx if there are no dri or gallium drivers built unless you
> >> force them on.
> >
> > Thanks for turning that stuff off. Last time I tried to build just
> > Vulkan without GL (maybe 1.5 years ago), Autotools didn't allow it. It
> > insisted that i965 was a build dependency for anvil.
> >
> >> It also avoids building the glsl compiler unless there's a driver
> >> that uses it.
> >
> > I expected the buildtime to be much longer because I expected it to
> > build the GLSL compiler too. I was surprised and happy to discover that
> > it builds only the SPIR-V compiler.
> >
> >> And it defaults to debug, which might be surprising, but people
> >> around here thought that default debug is a feature.
> >
> > Huh... For infrastructure projects like Mesa (as opposed to test
> > projects like Piglit), I expect the default build to be the release
> > build. But I can understand why others would want default=debug.
>
> autotools defaults to debug disabled. I think that's how almost every
> project does it... debug enabled is definitely a surprise.
>
>   -ilia

Well, for distros they likely want to set the buildtype to plain (meson adds no
compiler flags except ones the project defines), and then add their default
flags via CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. That is certainly *not* what anyone except a
distro (or some kind of build infrastructure like jenkins or gentoo) would want.
Xorg's default is debugoptimzed, for reference.

Dylan