[Mesa-dev] More gratitude for Meson

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Wed Nov 1 23:12:37 UTC 2017

Quoting Ilia Mirkin (2017-11-01 16:05:17)
> On Wed, Nov 1, 2017 at 7:03 PM, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
> > Quoting Ilia Mirkin (2017-11-01 15:52:56)

> >> autotools defaults to debug disabled. I think that's how almost every
> >> project does it... debug enabled is definitely a surprise.
> >>
> >>   -ilia
> >
> > Well, for distros they likely want to set the buildtype to plain (meson adds no
> > compiler flags except ones the project defines), and then add their default
> > flags via CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS. That is certainly *not* what anyone except a
> > distro (or some kind of build infrastructure like jenkins or gentoo) would want.
> > Xorg's default is debugoptimzed, for reference.
>
> --enable-debug enables -DDEBUG in mesa. Are you saying that this is
> the default? Or are you just saying that you're not adding extra
> -O100073 options?

The meson build keys -DDEBUG on the builtype, debug or debugoptimized you get
-DDEBUG, anything else, you don't. The way mesa is setup if you don't have
-DNDEBUG you have to have -DDEBUG or asserts happen for member of structures
that don't exist.

I'm not dead set on debug as the default buildtype, it's what we have ATM
though. I asked around here and the feeling was that builtype debug by default
was a feature. If the larger community disagrees we can change it.

Dylan