[Mesa-dev] More gratitude for Meson

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 12:19:34 UTC 2017

On 1 November 2017 at 22:49, Chad Versace <chadversary at chromium.org> wrote:
> On Wed 01 Nov 2017, Dylan Baker wrote:
>> Quoting Chad Versace (2017-11-01 14:43:28)
>> > Wow. 10 seconds from a clean checkout to an installed Vulkan driver.
>
>> Glad that it's working out for you guys!
>>
>> Can I convince you to wire the anvil and i965 android/arc++ bits? ;)
>>
>> JFYI, the meson build will (I consider it a bug if it doesn't) turn off all
>> glapi, egl, and glx if there are no dri or gallium drivers built unless you
>> force them on.
>
> Thanks for turning that stuff off. Last time I tried to build just
> Vulkan without GL (maybe 1.5 years ago), Autotools didn't allow it. It
> insisted that i965 was a build dependency for anvil.

Back then the Intel compiler was tightly decoupled with i965.
Once that was fixed [code-wise] the build was updated ;-)

>> It also avoids building the glsl compiler unless there's a driver
>> that uses it.
>
> I expected the buildtime to be much longer because I expected it to
> build the GLSL compiler too. I was surprised and happy to discover that
> it builds only the SPIR-V compiler.

Thanks for pointing this out I completely missed it - since
technically one could have glsl in Vulkan :-\

>> And it defaults to debug, which might be surprising, but people
>> around here thought that default debug is a feature.
>
> Huh... For infrastructure projects like Mesa (as opposed to test
> projects like Piglit), I expect the default build to be the release
> build. But I can understand why others would want default=debug.

I'm on the same page - both have merits.
Using release sounds like the more consistent and expected behaviour.

-Emil