[Mesa-dev] create src/wsi

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Fri Nov 3 13:55:00 UTC 2017

Hi,

On 1 November 2017 at 17:33, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 31 October 2017 at 21:07, Dylan Baker <dylan at pnwbakers.com> wrote:
>> My intention is to pull some of the generated files that are shared
>> between vulkan/wsi/wayland and egl/wayland/wayland-drm. Daniel has said that he
>> has more generated files that will be shared between them in work he is doing
>> currently, and putting them in neither EGL or Wayland would make the build
>> cleaner, and that's the intention of this series.
>>
> Across various systems I have over ~10 different branches that cover
> egl, gbm and friends.
> I have to admit that the goal is very admirable, but it would
> seriously hinder attempts to get those sorted.
>
> If the key issue is wayland-drm - we should be able to move the XML
> file to wayland-protocols?
> This way it will be a bit more straightforward, we can drop the 4
> copies of it with a single canonical one.

Specifically, there are in-flight patches to use the generated
linux-dmabuf-unstable-v1.xml protocol header and files in the Vulkan
WSI as well as EGL. Having those only generated once, rather than
duplicate definitions between both, seems like a good state of
affairs. Killing wl_drm, which I'm totally on board with, means we'll
repeat the same thing for its hypothetical replacement protocol,
regardless of whether it's in Mesa or wayland-protocols (and it would
be the latter).

Taking it as a given that we can't kill wl_drm for some time yet
(thanks, VA-API), this means that we have a sequencing issue where
src/egl/wayland/* must be built strictly before both GBM and Vulkan,
and also unconditionally enabled during their builds. That seems kind
of ugly, but more importantly - aesthetics aside - like it's setting a
trap for someone to fall over in future. So for me, moving the bits
that really have nothing to do with EGL out of src/egl/ does make some
sense, but on the other hand if you have a bunch of branches which
touch wayland-drm (?) then given it's not urgent, we could come back
to this after you've resolved those.

I'll get back to the wl_drm protocol issue on the wayland-devel@ thread.

Cheers,
Daniel