[Mesa-dev] Driver testing system for Steam games

Pierre-Loup A. Griffais pgriffais at valvesoftware.com
Wed Nov 15 20:32:07 UTC 2017

Hi Mesa-Devel,

Today we're happy to announce that we're making the LunarG driver
testing system available to the Mesa development community. We've been
using this system internally for quite some time, but we've recently
done some more work so the results could also be publicly available for
the community to track regressions, and for developers to be able to
submit their branches for pre-submit testing.

The LunarG test system is a service that provides regular regression
testing on Mesa releases for Intel and AMD OpenGL graphics drivers. It
also enables users to test their own Mesa builds and compare results to
LunarG baselines, LunarG test runs, or user test runs. The objective of
the LunarG test system service for Mesa is to identify regressions in
performance or rendering for Mesa releases and developer's branches that
would negatively impact the gaming experience.

The test suite is a collection of trace files created from hundreds of
Linux OpenGL games from Steam. These trace files are used to automate
testing of rendering correctness as well as game performance. There are
currently 6 graphics platforms available for test (3 configurations each
of Intel and AMD graphics). The full suite of games typically runs
overnight with results posted the next day.

To access the test system and browse results: https://share.lunarg.com
(click on "Test System") on the left.

Here's an example of a test report that a Mesa bug could possibly be
filed from after inspection: https://imgur.com/a/cBonz

To learn more about how the test system works, read the short user
manual: https://share.lunarg.com/test/manual

Let us know if you have any feedback or questions. Vulkan support is
planned for the future, but not ready quite yet.

Thanks,
   - Pierre-Loup