[Mesa-dev] GPU (and system) monitoring

Gordon Haverland ghaverla at materialisations.com
Mon Nov 20 17:05:38 UTC 2017

On Mon, 20 Nov 2017 13:25:26 +0100
Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:

> This kind of system-level monitoring is typically the domain of the
> kernel, not Mesa.
>
> I know you can get GPU clocks and temperature from there (e.g. umr
> does that for the amdgpu kernel module), I don't know about power
> consumption though.

This is the newly open sourced user mode register debugger from AMD?
So I guess looking in the source code for how it does that would be
fair.  I see in the Phoronix article about the announcement of this
tool, that there is another similar tool from Valve.  They might have
similar code in that.

I only have 2 brands of UPS myself, but NUT seems to supply the nominal
maximum power output for the UPS, and an (integer) percentage of
that nominal maximum being delivered at the time of being sampled.

> ... yocto-watt ....

I think I have seen similar things written about in the Arduino world.
It appears the suggested price is about $100 (USD?), which I would
think would put it out of the budget of many people who might be
interested in this power monitoring.  I.e. my UPS didn't cost very much
more than that.  :-)

Thanks for the feedback Nicolai and Slava.

Gord