[Mesa-dev] GBM and the Device Memory Allocator Proposals

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Fri Nov 24 16:45:02 UTC 2017

On November 23, 2017 09:00:05 Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi James,
>
> On 21 November 2017 at 01:11, James Jones <jajones at nvidia.com> wrote:
>
>> -I have also heard some general comments that regardless of the relationship
>> between GBM and the new allocator mechanisms, it might be time to move GBM
>> out of Mesa so it can be developed as a stand-alone project.  I'd be
>> interested what others think about that, as it would be something worth
>> coordinating with any other new development based on or inside of GBM.
>>
> Having a GBM frontend is one thing I've been pondering as well.
>
> Regardless of exact solution wrt the new allocator, having a clear
> frontend/backend separation for GBM will be beneficial.
> I'll be giving it a stab these days.

I'm not sure what you mean by that.  It currently has something that looks
like separation but it's a joke.  Unless we have a real reason to have
anything other than a dri_interface back-end, I'd rather we just stop
pretending and drop the extra layer of function pointer indirection entirely.

--Jason