[Mesa-dev] GBM and the Device Memory Allocator Proposals

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 12:19:20 UTC 2017

On 25.11.2017 18:46, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> I'm not quite some sure what I think about this.  I think I would like
> to see $new_thing at least replace the guts of GBM. Whether GBM becomes
> a wrapper around $new_thing or $new_thing implements the GBM API, I'm
> not sure.  What I don't think I want is to see GBM development
> continuing on it's own so we have two competing solutions.
>
> I *think* I like the idea of having $new_thing implement GBM as a
> deprecated legacy API.  Whether that means we start by pulling GBM out
> into it's own project or we start over, I don't know.  My feeling is
> that the current dri_interface is *not* what we want which is why
> starting with GBM makes me nervous.

Why not?

The most basic part of the dri_interface is just a
__driDriverGetExtensions_xxx function that returns an array of pointers
to extension structures derived from __DRIextension.

That is *perfectly fine*.

I completely agree if you limit your statement to saying that the
current *set of extensions* that are exposed by this interface are full
of X-isms, and it's a good idea to do a thorough house-cleaning in
there. This can go all the way up to eventually phasing out the DRI_Core
"extension" as far as I'm concerned.

I know it's tempting to reinvent the world every couple of years, but
it's just *better* to find an evolutionary path that makes sense.

Cheers,
Nicolai

--
Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.