[Mesa-dev] [RFC] NIR serialization

Jason Ekstrand jason at jlekstrand.net
Wed Sep 13 16:08:25 UTC 2017

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 8:42 AM, Nicolai Hähnle <nhaehnle at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 13.09.2017 11:54, Eero Tamminen wrote:
>
>> Hi,

>>> For shader cache, hopefully we'll normally have the final program in
>>> the cache, which means the 're-run opt passes' is probably not a big
>>> factor. But, it still seems a fair point.
>>>
>>> I think the biggest advantage of having either nir or spir-v would be
>>> not having to fallback to running the glsl compiler, right?
>>>

>> Shader cache is performance optimization aimed at reducing compile times.
>>
>> When I earlier profiled it, 2/3 of the shader compilation work is done at
>> linking stage.
>>

> Caching NIR would completely eliminate the linking stage for shader
> variant compiles, since the NIR is already linked.

Yes, so there goes 2/3 of our compile time.

> Cheers,
> Nicolai
>

> Caching done at higher level than the linked binary shaders, may be of
>> questionable performance value, because the caching itself has also some
>> cost (extra code, disk access cache lookups etc).
>>
>> Some profiling showing that doing caching at NIR/SPIRV level could
>> measurable help performance (compared to caching overhead), would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> However, if the main purpose of caching NIR/SPIRV is something else than
>> performance[1], then that's a different matter.  It just should be clear
>> what is the aim of this change.

There are a couple of reasons:

 1) Caching the linked NIR should git rid of 2/3 to 3/4 of your shader
compile time.  That's very significant. Sure, we can do better, but 70% is
a big perf boost. :-)  I highly doubt that nir deserialization will be a
significant cost.

 2) Provide a better fall-back when we don't have an Intel GEN binary.
Falling back all the way to GLSL is very expensive and potentially
unreliable due to the way OpenGL lets you change bindings post-linking and
the changes don't apply until you re-link.  Falling back to linked NIR
should have similar reliability to the TGSI cache which seems to be working
very well.

--Jason