[Mesa-dev] MESA and KOTOR

Nicolai Hähnle nhaehnle at gmail.com
Tue Sep 26 10:56:20 UTC 2017

On 25.09.2017 18:50, Federico Dossena wrote:
> Hello everyone,
> you may remember that a few months ago I was trying to fix KOTOR to work
> with Mesa to use the Gallium llvmpipe software renderer.
>
> Well, it's been a while and I'm happy to see that things are a bit
> better with Mesa 17.2. The game still crashes, but we're closer to
> fixing it.
>
> Here's what I found using 17.2.1:
> With frame buffer effects and soft shadows the game crashes at the end
> of loading; the crash is inside a function that amongst other things,
> generates mipmaps for a texture used in a pbuffer (function at offset
> 2FB37D in my exe).
> The crash happens when gluBuild2DMipmaps is called, however doesn't seem
> to be a null pointer like it was back in march: it's an access violation
> alright but no longer a null pointer. So I think it's a different,
> hopefully simpler, problem.

So is it a crash in KOTOR, in glu, or in Mesa? If it's in one of the
last two, then you should be able to compile both glu and Mesa from
source with debugging info to help you narrow things down. A backtrace
would be a good start.

If it's in KOTOR itself, then I'm afraid we're probably not going to be
a lot of help here...

Cheers,
Nicolai

> Back in march, Miklòs Màté suggested that changing the checks for the
> pixel format could fix the problem, and he was right; without those
> checks we definitely got a step closer to fixing it.
>
> My first thought was to just NOP the entire section that generates
> mipmaps and a bit of code later that uses it. The game no longer
> crashes, however it displays nothing, but I can hear it running in
> background. So this is the last issue! We're almost there!
>
> Now, I'm bothering you again because I think that at this point it's
> just a problem with the texture format used there. The call to
> gluBuild2DMipmaps uses LuminanceAlpha' as texture format as well as
> internal format (0x190a). I tried changing it to RGB and RGBA just to
> try something, but that didn't work because I guess the texture was
> already generated with another format.
>
> What could I do to investigate this further? And where should I look
> inside Mesa if I wanted to say... force a specific texture format for
> pbuffers?
>
> I feel that we're very close to fixing this. Your help would mean the
> world to me and the whole KOTOR community.
>
> Thank you ;)
>
> P.S.
> This has nothing to do with mesa, but you should know that KOTOR is
> slowly dieing. It is currently unplayable on Intel and AMD graphics, and
> recent nVidia driver updates have introduced a glitch with
> transparencies (it can be fixed, but still, no one can play KOTOR on
> modern hardware properly and we have to keep old computers as dedicated
> "shrines" for KOTOR, that's why I insist so much on Mesa)

Lerne, wie die Welt wirklich ist,
Aber vergiss niemals, wie sie sein sollte.