[Mesa-dev] Using --enable-opencl-icd by default and deprecating the toggle

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Fri Sep 29 15:14:57 UTC 2017

Hi all,

Currently nearly all the distributions I've seen* enable and use the ICD.
Only Gentoo does not use it, but manages the OpenCL.so conflicts via eselect.

They have the ocl-icd library as a separate option, which makes me
wonder how that's supposed to work. After all, for it to work the
vendor package should:
a) provided a binary not called libOpenCL.so (it could be called like
that, but must be outside of ld's search path)
b) provide a $foo.icd file, listing the ICD file/path name

Most likely I'm having a dull moment somewhere and things work just fine.

Considering that the --enable-opencl-icd is almost always set, I think
we should change the default.
Deprecating and removing it (at a later stage) also a nice option,
since it will allow us to do some tidy-ups.

What do you guys think? I'd love to hear people's thoughts about this.

Thanks
Emil

*Fedora, Suse, Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, FreeBSD