[Mesa-dev] Status of radeonsi NIR

Timothy Arceri tarceri at itsqueeze.com
Wed Apr 4 04:05:26 UTC 2018

On 31/03/18 02:44, Benedikt Schemmer wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I did some more testing with NIR and wanted to share the results.
> https://github.com/bendat78/mymesa/tree/mymesa2/testresults
>
> Overall it seems nir could be better than tgsi, but there are some
> shaders with significant regressions and I think that introduces
> framerate drops that are quite noticable in some games (Total War:
> WARHAMMER benchmark for example).

I ran the benchmark for this game and there was no real difference
between the two backends. Can you try again with current master.

> See the run* directory for comparisons of tgsi vs nir for different
> versions of llvm and tgsi or nir vs different llvm backends (also
> includes complete shader db output (around 50k shaders)).
>
> NIR gets better with every version increase of llvm, which optimizes for
> code size (why not speed ?).
>
> I found no serious regressions so far, however I think that NIR is
> responsible for some crashes that happen in Metro 2033 Redux (beginning
> before actual game) and Dead Island classic (ingame) so probably related
> to compilation issues.

I also could not reproduce either of these. If you are still having
these problems can you create and apitrace [1]?

Thanks for testing.

[1] https://github.com/apitrace/apitrace/wiki/Steam