[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 16:12:28 UTC 2018

On 22 March 2018 at 00:39, Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> wrote:
> Just one bit of feedback, for the rest I either agree or have no opinion:
>
> On Wed, Mar 21, 2018 at 8:28 PM, Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  * unfit and late nominations:
>>     * any rejections that are unfit based on the existing criteria can
>>       be merged as long as:
>>        * subsystem specific patches are approved by the team
>>          maintainer(s).
>>        * patches that cover multiple subsystems are approved by 50%+1
>>          of the maintainers of the affected subsystems.
>
> I don't think 50% + 1 is workable. That would mean for a core mesa
> patch, one would have to get like 5+ people to ack it. Seems like a
> lot. (And I suspect will lead to debates about how to count "affected"
> subsystems.) IMHO 2 is enough, i.e. the maintainer that wants it, and
> another maintainer who thinks it's reasonable.

The presumption of 5+ people is based that we'll get at least 8
sub-system maintainers.

As of now, there has been only one person to clearly step forward - Mark.
Even if we get as many, the idea is to have broad consensus or at
least awareness.

An explicit NACK (as you mentioned later) is perfect, but it has
fairly big assumption.
Namely: other maintainers will review/test the patch, before actual
release (with it) is made.

Sure 50% might be too much and we can make it lower (say 30%), but
you'd want more representative size than 2.
Feature releases are a collective work of over 100 people, while
stable releases average of around 15.

Thanks
Emil