[Mesa-dev] New EGL extension in mesa and 'adriconf' packaging - EVoC'18

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Aug 14 12:48:27 UTC 2018

Hi everyone,

On 4 July 2018 at 19:36, Veluri Mithun <velurimithun38 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear developers,
>
> I'm an undergraduate student in India. I've great enthusiasm to contribute
> to mesa and I've already done a few contributions to adriconf.
>
> Currently, adriconf isn't able to configure the mesa drivers in a machine
> where Wayland protocol is used due to lack of EGL extensions in mesa. Hence
> to provide Wayland support in adriconf a new EGL extension is to be created
> in mesa.
>
> Regarding the extension and packaging for adriconf, I've discussed with @Rob
> Clark , @Nicolai Hähnle , @Jean Hertel and drafted the proposal[1].
>
> More info related to the extension and packaging can be found in the
> proposal. If anyone has suggestions regarding this, please let me know.
>
> [1]
> https://docs.google.com/document/d/1EHpLMx7BiZNZxf6MY4fAdmDIFpE5c1Rro9qhuJhag3c/edit?usp=sharing

Above all - pardon for joining so late. Since the original email was
talking about adriconf I sort to put this in the "for later" queue.

As Veluri has noticed, I made a few comments earlier to his proposal/plans.
Having a comprehensive configuration tool is a great task, although
there is an underlying issue as pointed out [A].

The point that brought me here is the EGL_MESA_query_renderer extension.
Since I have some work that depend on it, I'm wondering what's the status?

If Veluri hasn't gotten to it yet, I will do something today/tomorrow.
He can work on it in parallel and compare/cross-review one another's work.

If people are not keen on the duplication effort, the time could be
invested that into other parts of the project (distro/flatpak
packaging, etc.)

Or looking for a proper solution for [A]. Since that hack is for GLX
and we will need something alike it EGL. Ideally, a lot less hacky.
Sadly, resolving that is outside of my scope for the moment, but I am
happy to answer questions ;-)

Thanks
Emil

[A] https://github.com/jlHertel/adriconf/commit/9c1c98633faff7b6b15be443da5cb9d8e90c50dd#diff-e9ffd8eaf9c59af94bc9cef7564301e5R14