[Mesa-dev] INTEL_map_texture on i915/i965

Lionel Landwerlin lionel.g.landwerlin at intel.com
Thu Aug 16 16:02:58 UTC 2018

Hey Phi,

I can confirm this extension isn't implemented in Mesa.
I don't why it wasn't.

Talking briefly with Jason, it seems that mapping texture makes less
sense on Skylake and above generations.
There we maintain compressed version of the textures in memory to
further reduce memory bandwidth.
This would make the memory mapped mechanism more costly because we would
need to decompress the texture when you want to access it (probably
close to a ReadPixels in terms of performance).

-
Lionel