[Mesa-dev] EGL_MESA_query_renderer

Veluri Mithun velurimithun38 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 05:24:33 UTC 2018

Hi all,

On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com>
wrote:

> HI all,
>
> On 20 August 2018 at 20:01, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> > +Emil since he had some interest in this extension too
> >

> Bth since I did not hear anything last week, so I sat down and wrote
> the spec, implementation and tests on Sunday ;-)
> I'll try to find some time to cleanup and sent out the patches later today.

I can see only tests here(
https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/piglit/compare/2fa9b8fa3e81e230977c2b16ca5b03dd6d85d69b...166c6e3a955c7ed6ac9c514abb6da30b04f81c8e)
may I please know more about these tests...

and in mesa dev list also I didn't find any patch related to spec and
imlplementation..!(If had not missed any mail :-) )

> To reiterate my earlier suggestion
>
> "He can work on it in parallel and compare/cross-review one another's work.
>
> If people are not keen on the duplication effort, the time could be
> invested that into other parts of the project (distro/flatpak
> packaging, etc.)"

Actual plan(proposal) is to first create extension then use that in
adriconf and then packaging.
But, If you( @Jean Hertel <jean.hertel at hotmail.com> , @Rob Clark
<robdclark at gmail.com> )are okay if I do packaging before creating
extension(adriconf can't configure drivers in wayland) then I can continue
with packaging. Later after we finish extension I can come to adding
wayland support in adriconf. Rob and Jean pl. give your opinoin about this.

> Personally, I'd suggest working on an glXGetScreenDriver and
> glXGetDriverConfig equivalent for EGL.
> That in itself will be a _fairly_ laborious task, which seems to have
> been underestimated/missed in the initial plan.
>
> It would involve a) writing another EGL extension or b) Wayland
> protocol or c) other mechanism.

This extension is intended to provied the similar functionality as like
glXGetScreenDriver and GlXGetDriverConfig work in X11. Something like
EGLGetDriverConfig and EGLGETScreenDriver (or EGLGETDisplayDriver I think..
) in wayland server.

To be more clear EGLGETDriverConfig should provide an xml format string
with all the options in different languages as seen in X11 when *xdriinfo* is
run and EGLDIsplayDriver should return a driver name(string eg: i965) of
current driver in use.

And also EGLQueryRendererInteger which returns id like pciID(like in x11).

Only after we achevie these through any EGL extension, adriconf can
configure drivers in wayland protocol.

> > I don't think this extension should require any driver specific
> > functionality?  (But maybe some window system specific
> > functionality??)
> >
> Extensions piggy-backs on the DRI extension - implementation is ~200 loc
> ;-)
>
> >> EGL_MESA_drm_image_formats is what I can refer I think, Do you know any
> other extensions?
> >
> > That is probably a reasonable one to look at.  Probably git-blame on
> > eglmesaext.h and eglext.h and then going at looking at the patches
> > around there which add the corresponding extensions would be useful.
> > (Maybe eglext.h less useful, since it probably has a lot of "resyncing
> > Khronos headers" type commits..)
> >
> Rob is on spot, yet again. Many header and synced from Khronos. I
> would ignore those and look at the rest for examples.
> Personally I started with the GLX extension, tweaking it here and there ;-)
>

> Something that kind of hit me, why is the project status/emails like
> these happening in private?
> It doesn't seem to follow the open-source mantra and others interested
> in learning about Mesa/adriconf are left in the dark.
>
> On my GSoC pretty much everything was done on the public discussion
> medium. The next year when Varad was doing a GSoC same thing happened.
> Am I missing something?

I'm sry about this!

> Thanks
> Emil