[Mesa-dev] EGL_MESA_query_renderer

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Wed Aug 22 17:57:50 UTC 2018

On 22 August 2018 at 06:24, Veluri Mithun <velurimithun38 at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> On Tue, Aug 21, 2018 at 2:49 PM Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>>
>> HI all,
>>
>> On 20 August 2018 at 20:01, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> > +Emil since he had some interest in this extension too
>> >

>> Bth since I did not hear anything last week, so I sat down and wrote
>> the spec, implementation and tests on Sunday ;-)
>> I'll try to find some time to cleanup and sent out the patches later
>> today.
>
> I can see only tests
> here(https://gitlab.freedesktop.org/mesa/piglit/compare/2fa9b8fa3e81e230977c2b16ca5b03dd6d85d69b...166c6e3a955c7ed6ac9c514abb6da30b04f81c8e)
> may I please know more about these tests...
>
> and in mesa dev list also I didn't find any patch related to spec and
> imlplementation..!(If had not missed any mail :-) )

Real life got in the way - you know shopping, cooking, doing laundry ;-)

>> To reiterate my earlier suggestion
>>
>> "He can work on it in parallel and compare/cross-review one another's
>> work.
>>
>> If people are not keen on the duplication effort, the time could be
>> invested that into other parts of the project (distro/flatpak
>> packaging, etc.)"
>
> Actual plan(proposal) is to first create extension then use that in adriconf
> and then packaging.
> But, If you( @Jean Hertel , @Rob Clark )are okay if I do packaging before
> creating extension(adriconf can't configure drivers in wayland) then I can
> continue with packaging. Later after we finish extension I can come to
> adding wayland support in adriconf. Rob and Jean pl. give your opinoin about
> this.

Please stick with your mentor suggestions, more than a random person
who arrived late.

>> Personally, I'd suggest working on an glXGetScreenDriver and
>> glXGetDriverConfig equivalent for EGL.
>> That in itself will be a _fairly_ laborious task, which seems to have
>> been underestimated/missed in the initial plan.
>>
>> It would involve a) writing another EGL extension or b) Wayland
>> protocol or c) other mechanism.
>

> This extension is intended to provied the similar functionality as like
> glXGetScreenDriver and GlXGetDriverConfig work in X11. Something like
> EGLGetDriverConfig and EGLGETScreenDriver (or EGLGETDisplayDriver I think..
> ) in wayland server.
>
> To be more clear EGLGETDriverConfig should provide an xml format string with
> all the options in different languages as seen in X11 when xdriinfo is run
> and EGLDIsplayDriver should return a driver name(string eg: i965) of current
> driver in use.
>
> And also EGLQueryRendererInteger which returns id like pciID(like in x11).
>
> Only after we achevie these through any EGL extension, adriconf can
> configure drivers in wayland protocol.

My earlier reply has some tips/ideas. Feel free to borrow as much as
you like from there.

>> > I don't think this extension should require any driver specific
>> > functionality?  (But maybe some window system specific
>> > functionality??)
>> >
>> Extensions piggy-backs on the DRI extension - implementation is ~200 loc
>> ;-)

>> > That is probably a reasonable one to look at.  Probably git-blame on
>> > eglmesaext.h and eglext.h and then going at looking at the patches
>> > around there which add the corresponding extensions would be useful.
>> > (Maybe eglext.h less useful, since it probably has a lot of "resyncing
>> > Khronos headers" type commits..)
>> >
>> Rob is on spot, yet again. Many header and synced from Khronos. I
>> would ignore those and look at the rest for examples.
>> Personally I started with the GLX extension, tweaking it here and there
>> ;-)
>>

>> Something that kind of hit me, why is the project status/emails like
>> these happening in private?
>> It doesn't seem to follow the open-source mantra and others interested
>> in learning about Mesa/adriconf are left in the dark.
>>
>> On my GSoC pretty much everything was done on the public discussion
>> medium. The next year when Varad was doing a GSoC same thing happened.
>> Am I missing something?
>
> I'm sry about this!

We live and we learn. Don't worry about it.

HTH
Emil