[Mesa-dev] Lets talk about autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Mon Dec 3 17:51:09 UTC 2018

Quoting Dave Airlie (2018-11-30 12:16:10)

> On Wed., 28 Nov. 2018, 03:06 Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com wrote:
>
>     On Tue, Nov 27, 2018 at 1:13 AM Timo Aaltonen <tjaalton at ubuntu.com> wrote:
>     >
>     > On 17.11.2018 6.04, Dylan Baker wrote:
>     > > Quoting Dylan Baker (2018-09-17 09:44:07)
>     > >> I feel like for !windows meson is in good enough shape at this point
>     that we
>     > >> can start having the discussion about deleting the autotools build.
>     So, is there
>     > >> anything left that autotools can do that meson cannot (that we
>     actually want to
>     > >> implement)? And, what is a reasonable time-table to remove the
>     autotools build?
>     > >> I think we could reasonably remove it as soon as 18.3 if others felt
>     confident
>     > >> that it would work for them.
>     > >>
>     > >> Dylan
>     > >
>     > > Okay, time for an update on things and a chance to talk about what else
>     we need.
>     > >
>     > > Support for llvm-config (and any binary, actually) overriding has
>     landed in
>     > > meson, and will be present in the 0.49.0 release, which is due out
>     December 9th.
>     >
>     > Hi, just a note that Ubuntu 18.04 LTS ships with meson 0.45.1 and will
>     > get Mesa backports up until and including 20.0.x, so I wonder how
>     > complex these required new features in meson are to be backported, or
>     > perhaps easily worked around? Backporting a whole new version of meson
>     > might not happen..
>
>     I understand the LTS concept, but what's the value in never upgrading
>     something like a build tool like Meson? Yeah, new versions give a
>     possibility of regressions, but with something evolving as quickly as
>     Meson the version available in April 2018 becomes less useful for its
>     intended purpose with each passing month...
>

> Is meson guaranteeing backwards compatibility? Will meson in 2 years build a
> package built with meson now?
>
> If I have mesa and another package using meson 0.48, and I update meson to 0.52
> will the other package still rebuild fine for things like security updates?
>
> Dave.

We have backwards compatibility, how long we plan to have backwards
compatibility is something that there is no formal policy in place for. It would
probably be good for distro people to chime in with their needs. I doubt you'll
get 14 years of backwards compatibility (RHEL has a really long shelf life) I
can open an issue and give you a link if you'd like that.

Dylan