[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Alex Deucher alexdeucher at gmail.com
Fri Dec 14 16:43:06 UTC 2018

On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 11:32 AM Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Fri, Dec 14, 2018 at 4:12 AM Gert Wollny <gw.fossdev at gmail.com> wrote:
> > I second that, I voiced my concerns in a former thread, especially that
> > so far this upcoming change has not been officially announced in the
> > release notes or on mesa-user, and that I don't understand why it is so
> > urgent to drop autotools when there is still someone who offers to
> > maintain it and some who prefer to use it.
>
> It's because the objective is to have as few build systems as
> necessary. This is an obvious first step and has been a stated goal
> for more than a year. I'm surprised that you're surprised.

A laudable goal, but if it's not ready, it's not ready.

> Let's just make an external contrib repo and keep all the autotools
> files there. Then Emil and company can continue having fun maintaining
> autotools and all you'll need to do is rsync into the Mesa repo to use
> autotools.

Seems like a bigger turn off for casual developers that are having
trouble with meson.  At this point it seems like we have a few
enthusiastic supporters, and a bunch of people begrudgingly going
along with it despite having limitations to their work flow.  Every
conversion seems to go this way.  It's not like these are new
sentiments.

Alex