[Mesa-dev] Suggestions for improving meson-based builds

Eero Tamminen eero.t.tamminen at intel.com
Mon Dec 17 14:59:42 UTC 2018

Hi,

On 17.12.2018 2.33, Jason Ekstrand wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 16, 2018 at 1:49 PM Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu
> <mailto:imirkin at alum.mit.edu>> wrote:
[...]>     2. Summary at the end. This is not strictly an autotools-specific
>     issue, but rather how mesa has used it. That summary at the end is
>     very useful to make sure you (or someone you're helping) hasn't
>     screwed something up.
>
> Run "meson configure" with no options.  It will dump out a full
> configuration.  Sure, it's not the same format but, unless I'm
> misunderstanding something, all of the information from the old summary
> and more is available there.  Or are you concerned with various derived
> or auto-configured values?  Or is it your concern that it get dumped out
> at the end of a configure rather than having to ask for it?  It'd be
> helpful if you'd be more specific about what you want than "the
> autotools thing".

Having build itself output (by default) the configured settings is
useful when going through build logs and looking for errors, and
build env & configuration differences.

It's run-time generated documentation about how the software decided
to configure itself to its build environment.  Personally I'd rather
read well formatted and concise documentation.

Nice (default) output of how the software configured itself to given
environment makes project somehow IMHO much more user-friendly, and
it's first impression of the project for a new developer.

	- Eero