[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Eric Anholt eric at anholt.net
Mon Dec 17 18:18:05 UTC 2018

Eero Tamminen <eero.t.tamminen at intel.com> writes:

> Hi,
>
> On 17.12.2018 8.08, Marek Olšák wrote:
> [...]
>> I think one of the serious usability issues is that environment
>> variables such as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH are not
>> saved by meson for future reconfigures.
>
> I don't know what Meson is supposed to do, but to me that would be
> a bug in a build tool.
>
> Re-configure is supposed to adapt SW to the changes in the build
> environment, and environment variables are part of that (along with
> command line options and SW installed to to the system).  Build
> configure tool deciding to "remember" some of those things instead
> of checking the new situation, seems like a great opportunity for
> confusion.

A user-triggered reconfigure, sure.  Recapture env vars then.  But "git
pull; ninja -C build" losing track of the configuration state is broken.
We don't have to specify all of your meson -Doption=state configuration
on every build, why should you need to specify your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
configure options on every build?