[Mesa-dev] last call for autotools

Dylan Baker dylan at pnwbakers.com
Mon Dec 17 22:46:15 UTC 2018

Quoting Marek Olšák (2018-12-17 12:25:29)
> On Mon, Dec 17, 2018 at 1:18 PM Eric Anholt <eric at anholt.net> wrote:
>
>     Eero Tamminen <eero.t.tamminen at intel.com> writes:
>
>     > Hi,
>     >
>     > On 17.12.2018 8.08, Marek Olšák wrote:
>     > [...]
>     >> I think one of the serious usability issues is that environment
>     >> variables such as CFLAGS, CXXFLAGS, LDFLAGS, and PKG_CONFIG_PATH are not
>     >> saved by meson for future reconfigures.
>     >
>     > I don't know what Meson is supposed to do, but to me that would be
>     > a bug in a build tool.
>     >
>     > Re-configure is supposed to adapt SW to the changes in the build
>     > environment, and environment variables are part of that (along with
>     > command line options and SW installed to to the system).  Build
>     > configure tool deciding to "remember" some of those things instead
>     > of checking the new situation, seems like a great opportunity for
>     > confusion.
>
>     A user-triggered reconfigure, sure.  Recapture env vars then.  But "git
>     pull; ninja -C build" losing track of the configuration state is broken.
>     We don't have to specify all of your meson -Doption=state configuration
>     on every build, why should you need to specify your PKG_CONFIG_PATH
>     configure options on every build?
>

> Thanks, Eric.
>
> Yes, meson behaves such that users have to set all environment variables for
> every "ninja" command that might reconfigure.
>
> I see 2 solutions:
> 1) meson needs to remember the relevant env vars
> 2) meson should FAIL to configure if any of the env vars are set (if it wants
> to ignore them)
>
> Marek

Meson does remember the *_FLAGS variables. Those are translated on configure
into meson's internal ${lang}_args and ${lang}_link args. It does look like
those aren't remembered when --wipe is called though, I filed a bug for that:
https://github.com/mesonbuild/meson/issues/4650

Dylan