[Mesa-dev] 10bit HEVC decoding for RadeonSI v2

Philipp Kerling pkerling at casix.org
Fri Feb 9 20:35:33 UTC 2018

Hi,

resurrecting this thread again since there's been some progress on the
Kodi side.

> For the EGL part, see <https://github.com/01org/libva/pull/125>
> and <https://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/mesa-dev/2017-October/171246.html>.
We recently started testing vaExportSurfaceHandle support, so we will
have this covered soon.

> I have been testing with mpv and ffmpeg; any thoughts from the
> Kodi point of view would be most welcome.
It generally works quite well, but we still have the unresolved
vaSyncSurface problem.
To recap: vaExportSurfaceHandle requires calling vaSyncSurface to make
sure that the decode is actually finished and the buffer is usable
before rendering the frame. However, vaSyncSurface was largely
unimplemented on mesa back then and it was unclear how to proceed with
regard to decode (VAAPI)/present (EGL+GL) synchronization.

So on to the question: Is this still the case, or has there been
progress on implementing vaSyncSurface in mesa? In either case, do we
need that support or does this syncing work implicitly somehow on AMD?

I've noticed that mpv does not seem to call vaSyncSurface, although it
technically should.

Best regards,
Philipp