[Mesa-dev] 10bit HEVC decoding for RadeonSI v2

Christian König christian.koenig at amd.com
Sun Feb 11 12:13:31 UTC 2018

Hi Rainer,

the render thread doesn't wait either.

See when you dispatch some work the AMD drivers always wait for
prerequisites in the background, not in the foreground.

The older radeon driver uses hardware semaphores for this while amdgpu
has a GPU scheduler which handles that stuff.

This is very important because when you hold back rendering work in the
application the driver stack won't know about it and power management
starts to stutter.

Not so important for 1920p because power management should be able to
compensate the work peaks, but for 4K that's something mandatory to let
the driver be able to estimate future load.

We even discussed in our multimedia meeting if we shouldn't limit 3D
power management when UVD/VCN decoding is active because of that
problem. But I'm not very keen about those workarounds because it's
really counterproductive for transcode use cases to have the 3D engine
idling around with high clocks.

Regards,
Christian.