[Mesa-dev] [RFC] opencl: mega-cl

Emil Velikov emil.l.velikov at gmail.com
Tue Feb 27 11:47:06 UTC 2018

On 27 February 2018 at 00:26, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> writes:

>>> tbh, maybe hack, or I think more likely, maybe a good idea.. I'm not
>>> terribly sold on the idea of dynamically loading pipe driver and
>>> linking a lot of shared code into N different pipe_${driver}.so on
>>> disk, since the # of drivers seems to be greater than # of state
>>> trackers.. not to mention multiple copies of shared gallium code in
>>> memory due to being statically linked into both state tracker and
>>> driver.
>>>

>> It would probably make sense to link that shared code dynamically into
>> the pipe-loader modules in order to avoid the duplication you're talking
>> about (e.g. by building them as a meson shared_module() instead of a
>> shared_library() in order to allow the common symbols to be undefined in
>> the pipe-loader module which will then be pulled in by the state
>> tracker) -- Actually that's likely to fix your problem too.
>
> yes, for pipe_loader_dynamic case, this is the only way I can see for
> it to work (although I think we still want to link statically in the
> pipe_loader_static case).  Well that, or making the glsl_types symbols
> not -Bsymbolic.
>
> The potential problem here is, what if an app links in both (for ex.)
> CL + GL, but somehow from different mesa versions.  I suppose that
> might be a corner case, but it would fall over badly w/ nir/glsl_types
> in a .so.  But I think the way things are packaged in most distro's, a
> user could upgrade specifically the mesa-gl package but not the
> mesa-cl package.  (Also, we don't really want to export glsl/nir
> symbols lest someone mistake them for a stable ABI.)
>
> I guess I am ok with the approach of (a) adding support for "mega-cl"
> using piple_loader_static plus (b) adding a libnir.so for the dynamic
> case, and letting users of pipe_loader_dynamic keep both pieces in the
> broken corner cases.
>
>>> That said, glsl_type's defn does seem to expect to only exist once in
>>> a process, ie. == is ptr comparison and when you link nir/glsl_types
>>> into both state tracker and driver, glsl_type ptrs are getting passed
>>> across that boundary.  I'm not really sure that is worth fixing (ie.
>>> why should it exist twice in a process in the first place?)
>>>

>> *Shrug* It's kind of a micro-optimization with nasty side effects
>> (namely that you cannot pass GLSL IR or NIR across shared object
>> boundaries without things exploding) and dubious payoff, it would
>> probably be reasonable to simply drop the micro-optimization, but that
>> wasn't the solution I was suggesting (but rather, making the
>> optimization work by exporting the symbols GLSL type equality cares
>> about with the right linkage).
>
> well, I think it is long past too late to try to solve that.  If it
> were only in c++ code we could overload == but it is a mix of c++ and
> c, and tracking down all the places that do pointer comparisons seems
> like it would be tricky to avoid missing some and having subtle bugs

Do we know why things were exploding on your end and Karol was fine?
Was it a missing a assert/other trivial bits, or it genuinely working
fine for Karol?

If one is to opt for either workaround, please make sure that it is
extensively documented.

> [...]
>> | -   static const glsl_type *const NAME##_type;
>> | +   static const glsl_type *const NAME##_type __attribute__((visibility("default")));
>> |  #undef  STRUCT_TYPE
>> |  #define STRUCT_TYPE(NAME) \
>> |     static const glsl_type *const struct_##NAME##_type;
>> | diff --git a/src/gallium/targets/opencl/opencl.sym b/src/gallium/targets/opencl/opencl.sym
>> | index 9fcc57692b8..fadc2eb6c1d 100644
>> | --- a/src/gallium/targets/opencl/opencl.sym
>> | +++ b/src/gallium/targets/opencl/opencl.sym
>> | @@ -2,6 +2,10 @@
>> |       global:
>> |               cl*;
>> |               opencl_dri_*;
>> | +
>> | +             extern "C++" {
>> | +                     glsl_type::*;
>> | +             };
>> |       local:
>> |               *;
>> |  };
>> | diff --git a/src/gallium/targets/pipe-loader/pipe.sym b/src/gallium/targets/pipe-loader/pipe.sym
>> | index 605cb83d802..801b0f44d56 100644
>> | --- a/src/gallium/targets/pipe-loader/pipe.sym
>> | +++ b/src/gallium/targets/pipe-loader/pipe.sym
>> | @@ -7,6 +7,10 @@
>> |               # due to LLVM being initialized multiple times.
>> |               radeon_drm_winsys_create;
>> |               amdgpu_winsys_create;
>> | +
>> | +             extern "C++" {
>> | +                     glsl_type::*;
>> | +             };
>> |       local:
>> |               *;
>> |  };
>>

> iiuc, this would have the same corner case of moving nir/glsl_types to
> a separate .so when mixing state tracker versions in a process.
>
>>> To me, the mega-driver approach worked well for gl, and many of the
>>> other state trackers are already using libpipe_loader_static.. why not
>>> just fix the problems with that approach and abandon
>>> libpipe_loader_dynamic?  This seems like it would work out better for
>>> memory footprint since pages for drivers not used simply wouldn't get
>>> paged in.  And you aren't ending up with two copies of libgallium or
>>> libnir code in memory.
>>>

>> The dynamic pipe loader would give you better disk and memory footprint
>> than the static one assuming that the problem with linking shared code
>> statically into each pipe-loader module was fixed, because that would
>> allow the pipe driver code to be shared in memory and disk among
>> different state trackers, but I guess that the benefit is slight at this
>> point, I understand your reluctance to fix it ;).
>>

> I guess I haven't measured, but I wonder if this is even true.  The
> cost increase is duplicating pipe_driver code in each state tracker
> (but I guess there are only 3 or 4 that typically end up on users
> filesys, and of those only mesa/st really needs to link in *all* the
> drivers, clover and the video state trackers are only supported by a
> few drivers each), but is that offset by de-duplicating shared code

The size guesstimate is miles off.

As mentioned already - there are _serious_ size savings. Specifics
depend on your exact build, but a 'generic' x86 is below.

Disabled the Vulkan bits to save a few seconds
./configure \
   --with-vulkan-drivers= \
   --with-gallium-drivers=nouveau,r300,r600,radeonsi,svga,swrast,virgl \
   --enable-nine \
   --enable-xa \
   --enable-omx-bellagio \
   --enable-opencl \
   --enable-opencl-icd

* 'overall size' - make && DESTDIR=`pwd`/install make install && du -ch install
635M    total - mega
382M    total - pipe-drivers

Since much of ^^ can be stripped/etc, let's look at the binary size:

First the pipe-drivers - identical across both
    text    data     bss      dec     hex filename
 2890690  101208 1998856  4990754  4c2722 pipe_nouveau.so
 1788418   83296 1998376  3870090  3b0d8a pipe_r300.so
 1872767  115000 1735176  3722943  38cebf pipe_r600.so
 2805967  222072 1735464  4763503  48af6f pipe_radeonsi.so
 1687546   79667  428384  2195597  21808d pipe_swrast.so
 1766134   86240  419272  2271646  22a99e pipe_vmwgfx.so

VDPAU: x10 ~7M -> 0.7M
    text    data     bss      dec     hex filename
 5742358  287184 1868280  7897822  7882de libvdpau_*.so - mega
  648640   72216    8832   729688   b2258 libvdpau_*.so - pipe-drivers

DRI: x2 ~13M -> 6.5M
    text    data     bss      dec     hex filename
11183120  399368 2061728 13644216  d031b8 gallium_dri.so - mega
 6110326  306680  316328  6733334  66be16 gallium_dri.so -
pipe-drivers -> we have some bits to cleanup

VA, OMX, etc are in the same case.

In a Tl;Dr; - build two targets you're already saving some. Build
three or more you're up for a huge win.

> I did have a thought earlier today.  Since we have glvnd, and
> opencl-icd (and I guess vdpau and vaapi have a sort of loader), where
> the state tracker isn't directly exporting the API symbols but rather
> just a jump-table used by the icd .so, we could actually perhaps do a
> mega-mega driver where all the state trackers and all the drivers are
> linked into a single .so.. That would reduce the disk and memory
> footprint the most.  (Well, ok, it would cost maybe some virtual
> address space, but pages associated w/ unused state trackers wouldn't
> be demand-paged in, so meh?)

Err... no. It was brought up before and it's a very bad idea. The
different targets pull different dependencies which you can not force.

I would greatly encourage that we shift away from the binary sizes and
consider resolving the icky pointer/singleton/related issues.

Thanks
Emil