[Mesa-dev] Question: Underutilization of GPU in certain benchmarks - Bug or Feature ?

Benedikt Schemmer ben at besd.de
Wed Mar 7 13:49:07 UTC 2018

Hi all,

while looking for problems with NIR, I noticed that in the Bioshock
Infinite and also Dirt Rallye Benchmark there are times when GPU shader
utilization drops to 80% (Bioshock) or 60% (Dirt Rallye).

In Bioshock this directly associated with fps drops, in Dirt Rallye it
is not so obvious but higher utilization means higher fps.

Is this normal? Am I looking at the wrong things?

Cheers,

Benedikt

P.S.

Pictures of the Benchmarks with Gallium HUD traces can be found at

https://github.com/bendat78/mymesa/tree/mymesa2/underutilization