[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Mar 12 11:49:26 UTC 2018

Hi Juan,

On 12 March 2018 at 11:31, Juan A. Suarez Romero <jasuarez at igalia.com> wrote:
> On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 12:12 -0800, Mark Janes wrote:
>> Ilia Mirkin <imirkin at alum.mit.edu> writes:
>>  - CI Automation immediately builds/tests the proposed stable branch
>>    whenever it changes.  Release managers verify the results.
>>

> This is kind of automation is something we were doing at Igalia since the
> beginning.
>
> We are actually using Travis[0][1] to exhaustively run different builds, and
> generate different Docker images[2] that contains the version under testing
> together with several testsuites.
>
> These docker images are lately distributed over a couple of different machines
> to  run those testsuites. This part is done manually.
>
> We are improving this by moving to use Gitlab CI (still wip), which allows us to
> run the testing process also automatically[3]. All the results from the tests
> are available later for downloading (we are working on pushing the results to
> HTML for better checking).
>
> If our CI goes fine, then we ask for Intel CI to check too. This way, we do a
> more extensive testing.

Oh, that's really good! The super-eagle-eyed amongst you may have
noted the presence of https://gitlab.freedesktop.org, which will go
live as soon as we have backups properly integrated with our existing
system.

We're not migrating all projects instantly, but at some point (decided
together with the wider community) the master repo will move to
GitLab, with anongit.fd.o just a slave from that. At that point we can
just run it out of the normal repo, rather than needing magic repos on
the side to do it for us.

Setting up CI in particular is something we'd love some help with, so
if you'd like to volunteer, you're really more than welcome ... :)

Cheers,
Daniel