[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Daniel Stone daniel at fooishbar.org
Mon Mar 12 14:03:04 UTC 2018

Hi Juan,

On 12 March 2018 at 12:10, Juan A. Suarez Romero <jasuarez at igalia.com> wrote:
> On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 11:49 +0000, Daniel Stone wrote:
>> On 12 March 2018 at 11:31, Juan A. Suarez Romero <jasuarez at igalia.com> wrote:
>> > We are improving this by moving to use Gitlab CI (still wip), which allows us to
>> > run the testing process also automatically[3]. All the results from the tests
>> > are available later for downloading (we are working on pushing the results to
>> > HTML for better checking).
>> >
>> > If our CI goes fine, then we ask for Intel CI to check too. This way, we do a
>> > more extensive testing.
>>
>> Oh, that's really good! The super-eagle-eyed amongst you may have
>> noted the presence of https://gitlab.freedesktop.org, which will go
>> live as soon as we have backups properly integrated with our existing
>> system.
>
> That's awesome! Didn't realize there was a gitlab instance running on
> Freedesktop.

Sssh, there isn't. ;) At the moment, logins are disabled until we have
backups working: I don't want to have people importing data into there
until I know it's safe.

> So that would help to solve the problem of proposing backports and specific
> patches for stable releases: just create a PR with the proposed change, and the
> system would merge it after verifying everything works fine.

There are a couple of blockers to doing this. First, we need to make
sure all the regular committers have accounts set up on GitLab. I've
already done an import of all the existing users, SSH keys, groups,
etc, so in theory the migration should just be a matter of moving the
repo, setting up a one-way mirror (GitLab -> anongit.fd.o), and
getting everyone to update their Git remote for pushing, without ever
needing to interact with the GitLab site, but it would be good to make
sure of this. Once that's done, you're welcome to start using MRs, but
whether or not to do it at all / how to do it / when to start doing
it, is a matter for the wider Mesa community.

Cheers,
Daniel