[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa release improvements - Release calendar

Andres Gomez agomez at igalia.com
Mon Mar 12 14:49:30 UTC 2018

Hi,

 * Release calendar policy: so far, we are setting the calendar [0] ad-
   hoc and it may be better to have a clear policy to deal with delays,
   etc.
    * If any stable release could be delayed due to high load, rise the
      hand as soon as possible so other person in the release
      management team can take care of it but make sure that the
      version is not delayed much.
    * For setting the release calendar, having into account that a
      final stable release may need more than 4 release candidates, we
      would like to have a clear understanding of how to proceed. 2
      options from the top of our heads:
         1. The release calendar for a specific stable release series is
            set whenever the final .0 version of that series is released.
            Also, the planning for the next feature release will be set
            and published in the related mailing lists in that moment.
         2. The release calendar for a specific stable release series is
            set dynamically with enough time in advance. However, the week
            numbers of the releases won't be affected by a delay on the
            final release (only the versions themselves). Hence, the .1
            version may be published after [1,3] or 2 weeks since the
            final release has been released. This will allow the release
            team to know their release calendar way in advance (at least,
            the dates, but not the versions, that can be slipped).

I would go for the 2. option. That means that, for example, if 18.1.0
gets delayed, we don't have to do anything else than just changing
which revision version is releasing each of us but the release weeks
will be kept.

[0] https://www.mesa3d.org/release-calendar.html
--
Br,