[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa release improvements - Feature and Stable releases

Andres Gomez agomez at igalia.com
Mon Mar 12 15:57:09 UTC 2018

On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 16:45 +0100, Juan A. Suarez Romero wrote:

> On Mon, 2018-03-12 at 17:17 +0200, Andres Gomez wrote:

[...]

> > My proposal would be, similarly to what Intel does to track [1] the
> > stabilization for a release, 1 week (?) prior to the branching time to
> > create a metabug in bugzilla (or GitLab in the future ?), to announce
> > this metabug in mesa-dev and to let any developer who wants to see
> > their feature into the coming release to open a blocking bug for this
> > metabug explaining such feature and its progress. This way we can track
> > the progress and the process will be more transparent. We can still be
> > flexible to include the blocking features but the coordination will
> > happen over these bugs.
> >

> So, when the branch point is created? After the metabug is closed? or 1 week
> after the metabug is created?
>

> Not sure if this provide any difference on what we are doing now: create the
> branchpoint, open a metabug with the desire features, and cherry-pick all the
> patches that solves the metabug.

18.1 example:

   1. Create a Metabug for the 18.1 branch point.
   2. Announce the Metabug in mesa-dev and give 1 week (?) for developers
      to complete their features. Advice to block the Metabug with other
      feature bugs.
   3. Developers create bugs with the WIP features they want to include in
      18.1 and block the Metabug.
   4. After 1 week, check the status
       * If there are no blockers, close the Metabug and create the 18.1
      branch point.
       * If there are blockers; coordinate with the developers of the
      blockers and decide whether to give a bit more of margin if the
      feature is almost complete or just remove the blocking bugs
      leaving the WIP features out, close the Metabug and create the
      18.1 branch point.
   5. Release 18.1-0-rc1.
   6. Create a Metabug to track the status of the final 18.1.0 release.
   7. Block this Metabug with regressions found from 18.1.0-rcX.
   8. Once we reach stability, close the Metabug and announce the final
      release of 18.1.0.

I hope this clarifies.

--
Br,