[Mesa-dev] [RFC] Mesa 17.3.x release problems and process improvements

Mark Janes mark.a.janes at intel.com
Mon Mar 12 19:44:11 UTC 2018

Emil Velikov <emil.l.velikov at gmail.com> writes:

> On 12 March 2018 at 11:31, Juan A. Suarez Romero <jasuarez at igalia.com> wrote:
>> On Fri, 2018-03-09 at 12:12 -0800, Mark Janes wrote:
>>>  - Patches are applied to proposed stable branch by automation when the
>>>    associated commit is pushed to master.  The existing commit message
>>>    annotations drive this process.  There must be zero ambiguity in the
>>>    annotations (eg which stable branches need the patch).
>>>

> I would recommend a delay between the patch landing in master and the
> wip branch. In the past, we have multiple cases where a fix lands in
> master, which causes severe regressions.
> IMHO having a 24-48h period sounds reasonable, although it can be
> tweaked based on feedback.

Having a delay means developers cannot quickly verify that their
stable-branch annotations correctly resulted in their patch being
applied where they wanted.

In the rare case that we have bad patches applied through the process,
we can treat it like a CI failure, where the maintainer steps in,
force-pushes the bad patches off the WIP branch, and adds annotations to
prevent automation from re-applying the commits later.