[Mesa-dev] soft fp64 support - main body (glsl/gallium)

Dave Airlie airlied at gmail.com
Wed Mar 14 00:04:26 UTC 2018

On 14 March 2018 at 09:54, Matt Turner <mattst88 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 12, 2018 at 9:24 PM, Dave Airlie <airlied at gmail.com> wrote:
>> This is the main code for the soft fp64 work. It's mostly Elie's
>> code with a bunch of changes by me.
>>
>> This patchset has all the glsl lowering code. (using float64.glsl,
>> yes I know checked in files are bad, but not bad enough for anyone
>> to have solved int64.glsl yet, so we have a precedent).
>
> Have you thought about making a NIR backend for R600?

It would be a lot more work and way too uncertain, I reckon it's taken
Timothy 6 months to get radeonsi even close with nir, I don't have
6 months to spend on getting r600 close, it's backend situation is a lot
worse than radeonsi.

> Elie sent patches for lowering fp64 operations in NIR, and it's what
> I'm going to start from when I do the analogous project for some
> future Intel hardware. It's sad to duplicate all of this code, much
> less all of this effort.

Yes it sucks, but maybe the nir code will get a lot more effort put
in and I can improve the GLSL code, I'm mostly hoping the GLSL
code is fire and forget since I doubt anyone in the real world will
ever use it.

Dave.