[Mesa-dev] FLAG-DAY: NIR derefs

Rob Clark robdclark at gmail.com
Thu Mar 15 00:07:53 UTC 2018

On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 7:42 PM, Connor Abbott <cwabbott0 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 5:05 PM, Rob Clark <robdclark at gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Mar 14, 2018 at 4:58 PM, Connor Abbott <cwabbott0 at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> FWIW, the way I imagined doing this was something like:
>>>
>>> 1. Add nir_deref_instr and nir_deref_type_pointer. At this point, just
>>> make everything assert if the base deref isn't a nir_deref_var. This
>>> will be a bit of a flag-day, but also very mechanical. It'll also help
>>> us catch cases where we don't handle new-style derefs later.
>>> 2. Add a pass to flatten nir_deref_type_pointer into
>>> nir_deref_type_var if possible (i.e. if there's a clear chain up to
>>> the base variable without any phi nodes or whatever). This should
>>> always be possible for GLSL, as well as SPIR-V unless
>>> KHR_variable_pointers is enabled. We'll use this to avoid too much
>>> churn in drivers, passes that haven't been updated, etc. We might also
>>> want a pass to do the opposite, for converting passes where we don't
>>> want to have codepaths for both forms at once.
>>
>> btw, does it seem reasonable to assert that deref instruction src's
>> are *always* in SSA form?  That seems reasonable to me since they will
>> be mostly lowered away before the driver sees them (and I think makes
>> some of the operation on them easier), and I can't think of any way
>> for them *not* to be SSA (since they aren't real instructions).
>
> I think so... as long as you don't lower locals to regs before
> lowering everything to explicit address arithmetic. Although, with the
> physical memory model, it's just another source like any other so I'm
> not sure if there's a point.

I think w/ phys memory model, we could lower away the deref's before
going to regs.  That *seems* like a reasonable requirement to me.

>> If so, my rough thoughts are a deref instruction chain (formed by ssa
>> links to previous deref instruction) either start w/
>> nir_deref_instr_pointer or nir_deref_instruction_var instructions at
>> the head of the list (to start, I guess you could ignore adding the
>> nir_deref_instr_pointer instruction and I could add that for
>> clover/spirv work).  Followed by N links of struct/array deref_link
>> instructions that have two ssa src's (one that is previous deref
>> instruction and one that is array or struct member offset)
>
> Why would you need a separate nir_deref_instr_pointer? Do you want to
> put information like what type of pointer it is in there? Maybe we
> could just make that part of every nir_deref_instr instead?

well, in clc you could hypotheticaly do something like:

  __global struct Foo *f = (struct Foo *)0x1234;

so you don't necessarily have a var at the start of your deref chain.

More realistic example is:

  ptr->a.b->c.d

which is really two deref chains, first starting at a var, second
starting at an ssa ptr (which I think realistically ends up needing to
be a fat pointer to deal w/ cl's multiple address spaces[1]), with an
intermediate load_global or load_shared intrinsic in between.

Anyways, don't want to derail the conversion to deref instructions too
much, but I do think we need something different for "var" vs "ptr"
(and the nice thing about deref chains is this should be easier to
add)

BR,
-R

[1] kinda a different topic.. short version is I'm leaning towards a
nir_deref_instr_pointer taking a two component vector as it's src so
it can be lowered to an if/else chain to deal with different address
spaces, and then let opt passes clean things up so driver ends up with
either load/store_global or load/store_local, etc